Ball High School was originally constructed on its existing site in 1953. Over the years, expansion scattered the students to an additional campus a block away. To re-consolidate the students, a 170,000 s.f. expansion to the existing school was designed. The second campus two blocks to the north was redesigned into an elementary school.
The new expansion includes a three-story academic wing, which created a new entry along Avenue O, and recalls the architecture of the original building. The three-story mass is angled to emphasize the entry and create landscaping areas along the street. Other additions include a fine arts wing, cafeteria, kitchen, commons, athletic wing and new vocational area. The overall composition compliments the existing school while providing a new image to the community and additional functional space for educational programs.